Tuesday, November 8, 2011

A Day in My Life

Woke up early yesterday because I had a meeting across town.

Put on dressy clothes.

Waited for 20 minutes at the main street for an empty seat in the small sedans that serve as public transport in Santo Domingo (7 people in a 1987 Toyota Corolla is a typical "carro publico")

After finally finding an available car, began the journey with a not-small women nearly on my lap.

Traffic made the 10 minute trip take over 30 minutes.

Switched to another carro publico which would take me close to the meeting location.

Rode said car for 10 minutes (no large ladies on my lap this time).

Got off bus and began to walk to meeting location.

Walked for 20 minutes.

Arrived, just on time, drenched in sweat.

Waited for 45 minutes for the person to see me.

"How can I help you?" She asks.

I tell her.

"Well, I don't really know about that, but this person at a different place across the city can maybe help you" she responds.

I press for more info...surely she knows something that would be helpful.

Nope, nothing.

I'm out in under 10 minutes.

Begin the 1 hour crammed bus/walking trek back home so I can email this other guy to try to talk to him.


You win some, you lose some!


A carro publico in Santo Domingo

No comments: